PC users can chat with friends on Xbox via Discord starting today
For this current generation, Microsoft has clearly aimed to provide better services for its gaming division. With Game Pass, select titles are cross-platform, allowing PC and console users to play together. However, one issue that kept console and PC users from enjoying optimal sessions was the lack of in-game chat – the focus on has been. Today, PC owners can chat with their Xbox friends with the newly launched Discord app on the console.
The feature was announced in July. Xbox Insiders tested the Discord app, likely with their PC and mobile friends. From today you can also do this. However, the feature requires some effort to get it working properly.
You must connect your Xbox and Discord accounts together to use the app. Microsoft has provided a comprehensive list of how-tos on the Xbox Support website. On PC, you’ll need to open your Discord app and go to User Settings. Once there, click on “Connections”, then click on the Xbox logo at the top. Tap “Continue” and a new page will open for you to sign in with your Xbox account. On Xbox, you need to open the guide, then go through “Profile & System”, “Settings”, “Account” and “Linked Social Accounts”. Log in via the Discord tile and follow the instructions.
We haven’t finished yet. Once you reach this point, you need to join the voice channel of your choice, right click on the channel name and click on “Transfer voice to Xbox”. Scan the QR code to open the Xbox mobile app, the hit “Transfer Voice”. Wow, that’s a lot of steps.
And there are some caveats
So you’d be right to think that it’s a lot of work to get PC and Xbox users chatting on Discord. But there’s a bit more to know, as Microsoft has listed some limitations with the feature:
- Features typically found in Xbox Party Chat are not supported in Discord voice channels, such as Invite Everyone to Game, Join Game, Switch to Game Chat, Party Overlay, Show Profile Card , etc.
- You cannot mix Discord friends with Xbox friends. A Discord voice channel will contain Discord friends, while the Xbox group chat will contain Xbox friends.
- Switching between Discord voice channels on the console is not supported. You will need to re-transfer audio from Discord again to switch to a new voice channel.
- Discord voice channel audio cannot be streamed via Xbox Live Stream.
- Discord is not available in all countries/regions.
It’s probably not perfect, but it might be the best we’ll get with a cross-platform app. To learn more about the feature, see the support page linked above.